Department: Education & Child Development Team
Community Action Partnership (CAP) of Lancaster County is seeking a dedicated and responsible Family Advocate who will implement ERSEA process: implement recruitment strategies for geographic area; completes applications as applicable and gathers information for selection of children to enroll in Head Start program. Successful candidate will assess family strengths and needs using established assessment instrument, within established timeline. Works with classroom staff as needed to insure appropriate staffing. Substitute as needed. Lancaster County Head Start offers a multi-site program (including 10 locations spanning Lancaster County) lead by an experienced, professional management team and a well-trained, highly educated staff.
- Bachelor’s degree or AA in social work or related degree, or 3 years’ experience working with families with young children.
- Ability to speak, read and write fluently in English; Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
- Ability to use data base software to enter family and program data and ability to use Microsoft Office programs effectively.
- PA Act 33 and 34 certifiable , FBI clearances.
- Current driver’s license and vehicle available to travel to Head Start sites and professional development.
- Ability to work flexible hours and attend night and out-of-town meetings as necessary.
- Respect and sensitivity toward cultural differences.
- Ability to lift 25 pounds on a regular basis and move up to 50 pounds occasionally with the assistance of a wheeled cart.
- Ability to negotiate steps and access the home environments of Head Start families.
Skills and Experience
- Works with teachers to inform families of scheduled health screenings and ensure child’s attendance on screening day
- Collaborates with teachers to gather information for comprehensive staffing, i.e. sensory, developmental and mental health referrals
- Follows health procedures to insure compliance
- Participates in comprehensive staffing and uses information to plan follow-up
- Supports families to complete follow-up on vision, hearing, dental and EPSDT referrals and services, following Head Start guidelines (45/90 days)
- Communicates with health manager; works as a team to support family follow-up on health and dental, referrals
- Informs Regional manager of openings and works collaboratively to fill vacancies
- Works with teacher to insure timely enrollment
- Works with teacher and families to monitor and insure optimum attendance
- Participates with teachers and families in center committees designed to enhance family engagement at the center level
- Works with teachers to monitor and reflect on effectiveness of family engagement practices to insure responsiveness of program
CAP offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Community Action Program of Lancaster County is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, disability, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, citizenship, veteran status or genetic information.
« Go back to jobs list