Breastfeeding Peer Counselor
Department: Health & Nutrition Team
The Community Action Partnership (CAP) is seeking a part-time, WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor who will be Responsible for providing basic breastfeeding information and encouragement to pregnant and breastfeeding women. Ideal candidate will have an enthusiasm about breastfeeding and wants to help other mothers enjoy a positive experience.
Skills and Experience
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Attends breastfeeding training classes to become a peer counselor, and ongoing training as directed
- Observes other peer counselors or breastfeeding experts helping mothers to breastfeed.
- Receives a caseload of WIC mothers and makes routine periodic contacts with all mothers assigned
- Gives basic breastfeeding information and support to new mothers and helps mothers prevent and handle common breastfeeding concerns
- Counsels WIC mothers by telephone (including text messaging) and office and hospital visits at scheduled intervals as determined by the local WIC Program
- Counsels women in the WIC clinic
- Is willing to provide breastfeeding support outside of normal clinic hours on as needed basis
- Can work the hours specified (number of hours is determined by the local agency and could be part time or full time)
- Lead small groups such as a support group setting
CAP offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Community Action Program of Lancaster County is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, disability, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, citizenship, veteran status or genetic information.
« Go back to jobs list